About a month ago, I ordered my new favorite thing from Thrive Market. If you don’t know what Thrive is, it’s basically the lovechild of Amazon Prime and Costco, but only for ethically sourced, responsible, and healthy items! I buy all my healthcare and toiletry products from Thrive– many popular health-food and organic brands that are typically too expensive for me to buy in store are affordable on Thrive. Now, I can feel good about what I’m buying without spending the extra money to do so!
*Disclaimer, Thrive Market has NOT paid me for any of the above statements (I wish!), I just like them a lot!
Anyway, if you can recall, I recently wrote about gingivitis, and how to cure it naturally. In effort to improve my oral health, I bought this. Desert Essences Tea Tree Oil mouthwash. I’m not a fan of conventional mouthwash as it often burns my mouth in a way that I find unbearable, and the alcohol in mouthwash is known to irritate open wounds in the mouth, and has even been linked to higher rates of oral cancer. No thank you! I went with a mouthwash that contained tea tree oil. Tea tree oil, also called melaleuca oil, is taken from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia, a plant native to Australia. It is a well-known natural disinfectant and has been used for years in the medical and dental professions as an effective antiseptic. When diluted, it is fit for daily use, and can do wonders for your mouth!
After using the mouthwash for a few days and LOVING it (fewer bloody gums when flossing, yummy, doesn’t burn, leaves breath fre$h), I decided to study the ingredients, and BOY was I amazed.
Here’s the ingredient list.
Water (Aqua), Glycerin (Vegetable Derived), Polysorbate 80, Eco-Harvest® Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint) Leaf Oil, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Calcium Ascorbate, Citric Acid
Isn’t it beautiful? I know what everything is! No seven syllable chemical names here. This mouthwash is packed with ingredients that promise to help more than just your mouth health.
- Tea Tree Oil- with fantastic antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic properties, tea tree oil is a common ingredient in acne fighting process, scientifically proven to kill bacteria and disinfect.
- Glycerin- Provides a barrier to bacteria, and as a bonus, it acts as a humectant, keeping moisture from escaping the skin. Witch hazel clears blemishes and tightens the skin— helping to reduce moisture loss.
- Aloe- A true multi-tasking ingredient, aloe soothes sunburns, acts as a moisturizing agent, treats acne, and reduces stretch marks.
- Spearmint- spearmint oil is a useful disinfectant, insecticide, and pain reliever when applied topically.
- Witch Hazel- Witch hazel clears blemishes and tightens the skin— helping to reduce moisture loss.
- Vitamin C- The antioxidant properties of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and its role in collagen synthesis make vitamin C a vital molecule for skin health. Vitamin C, like glycerin, can also act as a mild sunscreen helping to reduce the effects of UV rays.
If you read my DIY toner post from a couple of weeks ago, you’ll remember that many of these ingredients can be helpful to the skin, as well as your mouth! To me, the best items in your healthcare and toiletry arsenal should be items that have a variety of uses, and this mouthwash has certainly passed the test.
This item alone can be used as:
- A toner
- A disinfectant (for cuts, small wounds, infected earrings)
- A topical pain reliever
- A skin brightener
- Acne cure
- Nail fungus cure
At only $6, I’d say that’s a steal!